Any time we impose a financial penalty, the money we collect must be paid to the Treasury after deducting an amount to cover certain enforcement costs, which we keep. This is called the retained amount.
This document describes how we will use the retained amount.
How will the retained amount be used?
- We will return the retained amount to PSR fee-payers by reducing the money we collect from them in the following fee year (with the exception of any fee payer(s) that were liable to pay a penalty).
- The fees are collected by the regulated payment system operators (PSOs) on our behalf.
- The PSOs will not need to adjust individual invoices for those PSPs
Who should read this?
- participants in regulated payment systems under FSBRA
- regulated persons under the IFR and
- anybody with an interest in our enforcement process
PSR PS17/1: Our decision on the Financial Penalties Scheme
We have made a decision on how we will use the money we retain from any financial penalties we impose.
PSR CP16/5: Consultation paper on our proposed method for allocating the money we retain from financial penalties that we have imposed
We are consulting on our proposed approach for using the money we retain from penalty receipts in relation to our enforcement costs.